Long Island News
Man robs 7-11 store with tree branch
CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. (WABC) -- A man who attempted to rob a Long Island 7-11 by attacking an employee with a tree branch is behind bars.
It happened at the store on Carleton Avenue in Central Islip Thursday night.
Police say Michael Zimmerman walked into the store carrying a giant branch, demanded money, and then started beating the clerk with the tree.
The employee finally fought him off and chased him into the parking lot.
He was stopped by an off-duty police officer who was driving by at the time.
Zimmerman, who is from Ronkonkoma, was charged with Attempted Robbery 1st Degree.
long island, central islip, robbery, long island news
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind 33 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
33 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos