Long Island News
Suffolk police sergeant killed in off-duty wreck
MORICHES, N.Y. (WABC) -- A car crash on Long Island has claimed the life of a Suffolk County police sergeant.
Reecks was off-duty at the time. The cause of the wreck was under investigation.
Reecks was 57.
He joined the department in 1981 and rose to become commander of its bias-crimes unit in the late 1990s.
He led that unit until a command shakeup in January.
long island, moriches, police officer dies, long island news
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend 41 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Bethpage Air Show cancelled for Saturday due to weather 29 min ago
- Man accused of DWI with 6-year old daughter in car
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again 6 min ago
- Teen questioned in Queens bus shooting released 17 min ago
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse