Long Island News
College student shot, killed by police during confrontation
POINT LOOKOUT (WABC) -- An investigation is underway into the deadly police shooting of a college student on Long Island.
The 23-year-old was pronounced dead after he ran onto a beach near his family's Lynbrook Avenue home.
Officers went to the house to talk to him, possibly about a report of a burglary.
The man fled on foot onto Bayside Drive when he was shot. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
They say they found him holding a 12-inch knife.
Residents said he was a well-known athlete in high school and played baseball at college.
long island, nassau county, point lookout, crime, police shooting, long island news
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello at graduation 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night 57 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Metro North: Conn. train outage expected for days 12 min ago
- Tornadoes hit Kansas, Oklahoma; no injuries reported 52 min ago
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Man falls out window during Broadway show
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- Bruins top Rangers 5-2 44 min ago
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
57 min ago