Long Island News
College student shot, killed by police during confrontation
POINT LOOKOUT (WABC) -- An investigation is underway into the deadly police shooting of a college student on Long Island.
The 23-year-old was pronounced dead after he ran onto a beach near his family's Lynbrook Avenue home.
Officers went to the house to talk to him, possibly about a report of a burglary.
The man fled on foot onto Bayside Drive when he was shot. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
They say they found him holding a 12-inch knife.
Residents said he was a well-known athlete in high school and played baseball at college.
long island, nassau county, point lookout, crime, police shooting, long island news
- 90-minute delays linger after LIRR service suspension
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NYC home invasion robbery suspects caught on camera
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures