Long Island News
4 arrested after home invasion, police pursuit
WANTAGH (WABC) -- Four people have been arrested following a home invasion robbery and police pursuit on Long Island.
It started 9:00 this morning in Harris Sumra's parents bedroom on Bellmore Avenue in Bellmore.
The 20-year-old college student says he interrupted an armed robbery. His mom and dad were tied up on the floor. Harris says the robbers went after him, but he escaped, and called for help.
"They had guns, knives. I was pretty scared," he said.
Police caught one suspect on the spot, but the other three jumped back into their car and fled towards Merrick, where police caught up to them in front of Lakeside Elementary School and residents watched in horror as the bullets started to fly.
From there the chase continued, two more suspects jumped out of the car and started running. One of them was quickly caught.
About two dozen schools while the suspects were being sought on the south shore of Nassau County.
The remaining suspect in the car had been shot in the leg. He led cops along Sunrise Highway into Wantagh, where they finally pulled over the bullet riddled car and took him down.
"Everybody had their guns out like you'd see on television," an eyewitness said. "You know, they've got the guns pointed, and it was all business. From the guys you see, hello, how are you...stopping you for a traffic violation, when something like this happens, these guys go into robot mode. It was all business."
Police say the last armed robbery suspect did not get far. Officers and troopers caught him in the back seat of the cab that he had called to take him off Long Island.
His capture ended the tense all-day manhunt.
Nassau University Medical Center spokeswoman Shelley Lotenberg said six people were taken to the hospital, including residents of the home where it all started.
long island, wantagh, police chase, police shooting, long island news, josh einiger
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park