Long Island News
Turning around foreclosed homes in Nassau
FREEPORT (WABC) -- Thirty homes in Nassau County in foreclosure are the beneficiary of federal stimulus money. They are homes that the county hopes to sell.
Ivan Leiba is the owner of one of them. He had been turned down for a mortgage four times since the real estate bubble burst, but then he won a lottery allowing him an affordable home plucked from foreclosure by a nonprofit developer named Marianne Garvin.
With money from the Obama administration's stimulus bill, Garvin's Community Development Corporation bought five homes out of foreclosure, fixed them and sold them to people like Ivan at a price they prove they can afford.
"Not only was the property not paying taxes but the government had to take care of the property. So this is a win-win for the neighborhood, for families and for the local government," Garvin said.
Now the hedges are nicely manicured, the blight on the neighborhood has been lifted and this house is back on the tax rolls. And at a time when in Washington they're talking about cutting things like this, Nassau's proudly conservative County Executive says this is an example of a program that works.
"To the extent that this program can continue, absolutely because obviously the foreclosures here create significant problems in our communities," Ed Mango said.
Nassau County has already accepted millions in federal funds for this project, funneling it to developers like the CDC to rehab thirty houses in all and even more money is set aside in the president's controversial jobs proposal.
long island, nassau county, freeport, foreclosure, home sales, foreclosed homes, long island news, josh einiger
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 57 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
57 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos