Long Island News
Pit bulls attack woman, 62, on Long Island
NORTH MERRICK (WABC) -- Police in Nassau County killed one dog and are looking for a second in connection with a violent attack on a 62-year-old woman in Merrick.
According to police, the two pit bulls attacked the 62-year-old woman in the parking lot of a senior center at 1260 Meadowbrook Road around 11:00 a.m.
As officers arrived on the scene, the dogs turned their attention to them.
As the dogs turned and headed toward the officers, they fired at the dogs, causing both to run behind the Brookside School nearby.
One of the dogs was hit by a bullet, and collapsed and died.
The other dog, described as tan with white on the stomach area, got away.
Authorities are urging residents in the area to remain indoors while they search for the other dog.
The victim identified as Shashi Bala Sharma of Merrick suffered serious injuries, including bruises and cuts to her head and face. She also suffered deep lacerations to heft left arm and both legs.
Sharma remained in critical condition at Nassau University Medical Center treatment for injuries.
long island, dog attack, long island news
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Two more possible bias attacks investigated in New York City
- Accident involving fire truck at accident-prone corner
- Suspected robbery ends with car chase
- Connecticut rail service to return to normal Wednesday
- The return of the Green Card Scammer
- Rangers lose 2-1 to Bruins, now 0-3 in series
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos