Long Island News
Pit bulls attack woman, 62, on Long Island
NORTH MERRICK (WABC) -- Police in Nassau County killed one dog and are looking for a second in connection with a violent attack on a 62-year-old woman in Merrick.
According to police, the two pit bulls attacked the 62-year-old woman in the parking lot of a senior center at 1260 Meadowbrook Road around 11:00 a.m.
As officers arrived on the scene, the dogs turned their attention to them.
As the dogs turned and headed toward the officers, they fired at the dogs, causing both to run behind the Brookside School nearby.
One of the dogs was hit by a bullet, and collapsed and died.
The other dog, described as tan with white on the stomach area, got away.
Authorities are urging residents in the area to remain indoors while they search for the other dog.
The victim identified as Shashi Bala Sharma of Merrick suffered serious injuries, including bruises and cuts to her head and face. She also suffered deep lacerations to heft left arm and both legs.
Sharma remained in critical condition at Nassau University Medical Center treatment for injuries.
long island, dog attack, long island news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies 28 min ago
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall