Long Island News
Bike rider struck by two vehicles dies
EAST PATCHOGUE (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are looking for the driver of an SUV, one of two vehicles that hit a bicyclist and killed him in East Patchogue.
The accident happened on South Country Road at 9:30 Thursday night as the bicyclist identified as 22-year-old Eric Dennis tried to cross the road.
A Jeep traveling westbound hit him first. That driver, identified as by 56-year-old Deborah Lamm, stopped.
The impact threw Dennis into the eastbound lane.
He was struck a second time by a light-colored sport utility vehicle driving eastbound. This vehicle then continued driving east without stopping.
Dennis was taken to Stony Brook University Medical Center in serious condition. He later died.
Police impounded the 2000 Jeep for a safety check.
The investigation is continuing. Detectives are asking anyone with information to call the Fifth Squad at 631-854-8552 or anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.
long island, east patchogue, crime, hit and run accident, bicyclist killed, long island news
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday 2 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Multiple people injured in Toms River bus accident 22 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl 42 min ago
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims 23 min ago
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday
2 min ago