Long Island News
Bike rider struck by two vehicles dies
EAST PATCHOGUE (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are looking for the driver of an SUV, one of two vehicles that hit a bicyclist and killed him in East Patchogue.
The accident happened on South Country Road at 9:30 Thursday night as the bicyclist identified as 22-year-old Eric Dennis tried to cross the road.
A Jeep traveling westbound hit him first. That driver, identified as by 56-year-old Deborah Lamm, stopped.
The impact threw Dennis into the eastbound lane.
He was struck a second time by a light-colored sport utility vehicle driving eastbound. This vehicle then continued driving east without stopping.
Dennis was taken to Stony Brook University Medical Center in serious condition. He later died.
Police impounded the 2000 Jeep for a safety check.
The investigation is continuing. Detectives are asking anyone with information to call the Fifth Squad at 631-854-8552 or anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.
long island, east patchogue, crime, hit and run accident, bicyclist killed, long island news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act