Long Island News
Vandals walk off with boy's Halloween display
STEWART MANOR (WABC) -- A whole lot of trick and not much treat for a family in Nassau County.
A 6 year old boy's work decorating a front lawn for Halloween was quickly undone by vandals.
It happened in the tiny village of Stewart Manor, a well manicured bedroom community loaded with ghosts and goblins and jack-o-lanterns.
But Wednesday morning, six year old Justin Cantara woke up to learn thieves had stolen the joy from his favorite holiday - a giant inflatable coffin and a glowing bat-filled globe, lifted right off his family's lawn.
"A bad guy came and at the middle of the night they came and took our blow-ups away. And I'm so sad," he said.
"My son was crying hysterically and I looked out the window and both blow ups were gone," Lisette Cantara, his mom, said.
She can't imagine why someone would target their Halloween display. And it makes her especially sad because she bought the inflatables to reward Justin for studying hard in school.
"It's like taking candy from a baby. They took these blowups and they should know that my son is so upset over this," she said.
Justin's mom has already filed a police report, but she isn't holding out much hope she'll ever get this stuff back. So she's already shelled out the hundred fifty bucks she needs to buy new inflatables for her lawn, so Justin can have a happy Halloween after all.
long island, nassau county, stewart manor, crime, theft, long island news, josh einiger
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler 44 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway 54 min ago
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Suspect questioned after body found in container 36 min ago
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58 16 min ago
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- Pope Francis celebrates Easter with prayers for peace 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
44 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos