Long Island News
Vandals walk off with boy's Halloween display
STEWART MANOR (WABC) -- A whole lot of trick and not much treat for a family in Nassau County.
A 6 year old boy's work decorating a front lawn for Halloween was quickly undone by vandals.
It happened in the tiny village of Stewart Manor, a well manicured bedroom community loaded with ghosts and goblins and jack-o-lanterns.
But Wednesday morning, six year old Justin Cantara woke up to learn thieves had stolen the joy from his favorite holiday - a giant inflatable coffin and a glowing bat-filled globe, lifted right off his family's lawn.
"A bad guy came and at the middle of the night they came and took our blow-ups away. And I'm so sad," he said.
"My son was crying hysterically and I looked out the window and both blow ups were gone," Lisette Cantara, his mom, said.
She can't imagine why someone would target their Halloween display. And it makes her especially sad because she bought the inflatables to reward Justin for studying hard in school.
"It's like taking candy from a baby. They took these blowups and they should know that my son is so upset over this," she said.
Justin's mom has already filed a police report, but she isn't holding out much hope she'll ever get this stuff back. So she's already shelled out the hundred fifty bucks she needs to buy new inflatables for her lawn, so Justin can have a happy Halloween after all.
long island, nassau county, stewart manor, crime, theft, long island news, josh einiger
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 59 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted 30 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate 43 min ago
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong 40 min ago
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
59 min ago