Long Island News
Pocket lighter stops bullet in Long Island shooting
HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- Police say a shooting victim on Long Island escaped serious injury thanks to the lighter that was in his pocket.
The incident happened in Hempstead on Halloween night, just after 9 p.m., at the intersection of Morrell Avenue and Morton Street.
Authorities say the 22-year-old victim was approached by three men who attempted to rob him.
When the victim tried to run, he was shot by one of the suspects in the right leg. The bullet hit the lighter, deflecting it and leaving only a contusion.
The victim was taken to an area hospital for treatment. There is no further description available at this time.
Detectives ask anyone with information regarding this crime to contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS. All calls will remain anonymous.
long island, hempstead, shooting, long island news
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Snow for some 29 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops St. Patrick's Day parade sponsorship 19 min ago
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- AccuWeather: Snow for some
29 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos