Long Island News
Wake held for retired firefighter found dead
SETAUKET, N.Y. (WABC) -- Friends and family gathered Saturday night for a wake to remember 40-year-old Joseph DiBernardo.
The retired New York City firefighter was found dead in his home early this week.
He had survived a 40 foot plunge, escaping a deadly fire on what is now known as Black Sunday. Hundreds of FDNY firefighters paid their respects at the wake for DiBernardo in Setauket, Long Island.
In 2005, he was forced to jump five stories out of a burning building in the Bronx after he and five other firefighters were trapped.
Two of his fellow firefighters were killed.
DiBernardo and four others were severely injured.
long island, setauket, long island news
- Yonkers fire injures family of four 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Spring Valley police to announce arrest in Baby Angel case
- Residents warned to look out for black ice 20 min ago
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Local 7 line service resumes after signal problems 29 min ago
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Infant brought to NYC hospital by parents pronounced dead 4 min ago
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of Year 23 min ago
- World leaders bow, pray at Nelson Mandela's casket 58 min ago
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
20 min ago