Long Island News
Wake held for retired firefighter found dead
SETAUKET, N.Y. (WABC) -- Friends and family gathered Saturday night for a wake to remember 40-year-old Joseph DiBernardo.
The retired New York City firefighter was found dead in his home early this week.
He had survived a 40 foot plunge, escaping a deadly fire on what is now known as Black Sunday. Hundreds of FDNY firefighters paid their respects at the wake for DiBernardo in Setauket, Long Island.
In 2005, he was forced to jump five stories out of a burning building in the Bronx after he and five other firefighters were trapped.
Two of his fellow firefighters were killed.
DiBernardo and four others were severely injured.
long island, setauket, long island news
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident