Long Island News
Men posing as utility workers rob elderly victims
MASSAPEQUA, N.Y. (WABC) -- With holiday cheer always comes a few Grinches.
The latest is an old trick by men posing as utility workers and construction crews.
"He distracts the guy while the other guy goes upstairs and steals a lot of valuables," said Det. Lt. Kevin Smith, Nassau County Police Department.
They targeted two elderly men, one in Massapequa Park on Tuesday, and the other in Jericho on Wednesday.
Each time one man distracted the senior citizen while the other got access to jewelry and valuables.
Detective Lieutenant Kevin Smith from Nassau County Police wants to pass along a friendly reminder.
"Typically with the utility company they have identification. If you are not sure call the police. We'll verify. If there not, they'll get out of there right away," Det. Lt. Smith said.
It's not yet known if the two cases are related.
The victims gave vague descriptions of the suspects.
The 80-year-old victim in Massapequa Park says the man has a stub pierced under his lip.
The 84-year-old victim in Jericho noticed a white van.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, massapequa, massapequa park, robbery, long island news, carolina leid
- Malaysia Airlines says plane went missing 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos