Long Island News
Men posing as utility workers rob elderly victims
MASSAPEQUA, N.Y. (WABC) -- With holiday cheer always comes a few Grinches.
The latest is an old trick by men posing as utility workers and construction crews.
"He distracts the guy while the other guy goes upstairs and steals a lot of valuables," said Det. Lt. Kevin Smith, Nassau County Police Department.
They targeted two elderly men, one in Massapequa Park on Tuesday, and the other in Jericho on Wednesday.
Each time one man distracted the senior citizen while the other got access to jewelry and valuables.
Detective Lieutenant Kevin Smith from Nassau County Police wants to pass along a friendly reminder.
"Typically with the utility company they have identification. If you are not sure call the police. We'll verify. If there not, they'll get out of there right away," Det. Lt. Smith said.
It's not yet known if the two cases are related.
The victims gave vague descriptions of the suspects.
The 80-year-old victim in Massapequa Park says the man has a stub pierced under his lip.
The 84-year-old victim in Jericho noticed a white van.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, massapequa, massapequa park, robbery, long island news, carolina leid
- House fire in New Brunswick 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire 29 min ago
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual 33 min ago
- Baby it's cold outside! 16 min ago
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Baruch College student dies in apparent...
33 min ago