Long Island News
Shannan Gilbert's mom wants FBI to take over case
LONG ISLAND (WABC) -- Relatives of the victims of a serial killer on Long Island came together Tuesday to deliver a message. They joined the mother of Shannan Gilbert, the escort from Jersey City whose remains were finally discovered last week and whose disappearance led to the discovery of 10 murder victims.
Gilbert's mother, Mari, and the family's attorney held a press conference at Oak Beach. Shannan is probably the highest profile missing person in Suffolk County history. After a year and a half of searching, police finally found items linked to Gilbert, including her purse and cell phone, last week.
Gilbert was an escort who advertised on Craigslist. She met with a client just before she disappeared. While searching for her in the areas along Gilgo Beach and Ocean Parkway, police found the remains of the 10 victims believed to be the work of a serial killer.
Now, Mari Gilbert and attorney John Ray are calling for the FBI to take over the case. They want the feds to step in because they say Suffolk County police botched the investigation.
"The Suffolk County Police Department is grossly derelict in its duty, not only to have investigated these murders properly, but also because they failed to protect the lives of these people who are now gone," Ray said.
Police do not believe that Shannan Gilbert was murdered, but that she drowned in the marshland and that the link to the other bodies is coincidental. Mari Gilbert disagrees.
"Think of it as if it was your child," she said. "If it was your mother, or your father, or your sister or your brother. How would you feel that someone knew something, someone could help, but didn't want to, and they didn't care."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, gilgo beach bodies, gilgo beach, suffolk county, long island news, josh einiger
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos