Long Island News
Nassau County cop shot in East Meadow
EAST MEADOW (WABC) -- A Nassau County police officer was shot and injured Friday morning after a struggle with a suspect. The suspect was shot and killed by another officer who arrived as backup.
But they embraced, knowing he would survive.
Blocks away, it was a different scene.
Detectives consoled the fiancé of another man, Dwayne Oxley, who they say grabbed that officer's gun.
But his outcome was much different.
"They may have pulled up to that car just to see if the guy was OK. Then the struggle emerged," said Lt. Kevin Smith, Nassau County Police.
It started innocently enough before dawn in this then-deserted East Meadow shopping center.
Surveillance video shows the first officer pulling up to an SUV with one man inside.
He stepped out of the car.
But when a second cop arrived to provide backup, Oxley jumped back into the car and locked the doors.
"The officers managed to get the door open and a struggle ensued getting him out of the car, and that time that struggle continued to ensue with the officer's gun now being involved," Smith said.
Police say Oxley pulled the gun from the holster of one of the officers, who struggled to get it back.
But it went off hitting him in the leg.
His partner opened fire on the suspect, hitting him two or three times and killing him.
Detectives spent the day searching for clues into why the man went for that gun.
The bullet hit the officer's left thighbone.
He spent the morning in surgery, where doctors placed a rod in his leg.
Meanwhile, police cleared the scene and life returned to normal in this shopping center.
Pizzeria manager Peter Bruce says he couldn't believe his eyes when he arrived at work.
"It's the holidays and we're supposed to be all happy and cheering and there's a New Year. And I come to work and there's a dead guy in front of my building," Bruce said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, nassau county, east meadow, police officer shot, long island news, josh einiger
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall