Long Island News
Woman in wheelchair hurt in LI bus fall
GARDEN CITY, N.Y. (WABC) -- The inaugural run of Nassau County's new bus service was brought to a screeching halt Sunday when a woman demonstrating how to get on the bus in a wheelchair was injured.
Her wheelchair fell backward as she was going up the bus's ramp.
She hit her head on the pavement and was taken by ambulance to the hospital.
No word on her condition.
The Illinois-based company was picked to take-over the routes from the MTA following a funding dispute.
A statement from NICE stated: "NICE bus is praying for the speedy recovery of Ms. Yanger. She was cared for by medically trained personnel at the scene and subsequently by Nassau County Police ambulance, which transported her to the hospital. She was injured as she was entering unassisted in her wheelchair onto a bus. The bus she was entering is part of the existing fleet of vehicles that is owned by Nassau County and until today was operated by the MTA. It has been in service for 2 years and was manufactured by Orion. This bus recently went through a full safety inspection conducted by the New York State Department of Transportation. The wheelchair ramp was part of that inspection. The NYS DOT approved the bus on November 7, 2011."
Veolia Transportation just started operating the Nassau Inter-County Express or NICE bus system Sunday.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, garden city, long island news
- Snow alert issued for New York City
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way 51 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Obamas to attend Tuesday service for Nelson Mandela
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane 9 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute
- Police hunt driver in deadly Queens hit and run
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Eric Gelinas' OT goal helps Devils beat Rangers
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
51 min ago