Long Island News
Bandits target 89-year-old woman
OCEANSIDE (WABC) -- Police in Nassau County are looking for the bandits who targeted an 89-year-old woman and stole her jewelry.
Dusting for fingerprints, investigators are looking for even the smallest of clues; anything that will help them catch the burglars who they say preyed on the elderly Oceanside resident in her very own home.
Still too early to make a connection, but police say they will look to see if this could be part of a series of what they call distraction burglaries. One person knocks on the door and distracts the elderly homeowner while another slips inside and steals valuables.
A pattern of these distraction burglaries began emerging late last year. Seven of them were reported in a three week stretch, including two in Massapequa Ppark, two in Merrick, and one each in Wantagh, Jericho and West Hempstead.
After one in Bellmore, police released a sketch of a woman thought to be a suspect in at least five of the burglaries.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Nassau County police.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, nassau county, oceanside, crime, burglary, long island news, tim fleischer
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87 6 min ago
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 41 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest 48 min ago