Long Island News
Bandits target 89-year-old woman
OCEANSIDE (WABC) -- Police in Nassau County are looking for the bandits who targeted an 89-year-old woman and stole her jewelry.
Dusting for fingerprints, investigators are looking for even the smallest of clues; anything that will help them catch the burglars who they say preyed on the elderly Oceanside resident in her very own home.
Still too early to make a connection, but police say they will look to see if this could be part of a series of what they call distraction burglaries. One person knocks on the door and distracts the elderly homeowner while another slips inside and steals valuables.
A pattern of these distraction burglaries began emerging late last year. Seven of them were reported in a three week stretch, including two in Massapequa Ppark, two in Merrick, and one each in Wantagh, Jericho and West Hempstead.
After one in Bellmore, police released a sketch of a woman thought to be a suspect in at least five of the burglaries.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Nassau County police.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, nassau county, oceanside, crime, burglary, long island news, tim fleischer
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 8 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Good Samaritans rescue woman from burning car
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
59 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos