Long Island News
Bandits target 89-year-old woman
OCEANSIDE (WABC) -- Police in Nassau County are looking for the bandits who targeted an 89-year-old woman and stole her jewelry.
Dusting for fingerprints, investigators are looking for even the smallest of clues; anything that will help them catch the burglars who they say preyed on the elderly Oceanside resident in her very own home.
Still too early to make a connection, but police say they will look to see if this could be part of a series of what they call distraction burglaries. One person knocks on the door and distracts the elderly homeowner while another slips inside and steals valuables.
A pattern of these distraction burglaries began emerging late last year. Seven of them were reported in a three week stretch, including two in Massapequa Ppark, two in Merrick, and one each in Wantagh, Jericho and West Hempstead.
After one in Bellmore, police released a sketch of a woman thought to be a suspect in at least five of the burglaries.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Nassau County police.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, nassau county, oceanside, crime, burglary, long island news, tim fleischer
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Chilly Wednesday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- LIE in Suffolk County reopens
- Family pushes for drug/alcohol testing after fatal accidents
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- Photos: Blind man and dog fall on subway tracks
- EXCLUSIVE: Suspect arrested in 'knockout' assaults
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral arrangements announced
- ACS workers reach plea deal in girl's death
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos