Long Island News
Victim sketch released in LI serial killer case
GILGO BEACH, N.Y. -- Police have released a composite sketch of an unidentified victim whose remains were among those of 11 people found along a remote Long Island beach highway last year.
The sketch released Saturday is of a woman whose partial remains were found along Long Island's Ocean Parkway in April 2011.
Suffolk County police say other remains of the same person were also found on Blue Point Beach, Fire Island, in April 1996.
Investigators believe a possible serial killer is responsible for 10 of the bodies. The remains of an 11th victim - a 24-year-old woman named Shannan Gilbert - were found in late December. But authorities say Gilbert accidentally drowned.
Suffolk County police are asking anyone with information about the woman's identity to contact them or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, gilgo beach, serial killer, long island news
- Cuomo to announce new deal between MTA and Transit Union 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 59 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay 11 min ago
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms 27 min ago
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms
27 min ago