Long Island News
Victim sketch released in LI serial killer case
GILGO BEACH, N.Y. -- Police have released a composite sketch of an unidentified victim whose remains were among those of 11 people found along a remote Long Island beach highway last year.
The sketch released Saturday is of a woman whose partial remains were found along Long Island's Ocean Parkway in April 2011.
Suffolk County police say other remains of the same person were also found on Blue Point Beach, Fire Island, in April 1996.
Investigators believe a possible serial killer is responsible for 10 of the bodies. The remains of an 11th victim - a 24-year-old woman named Shannan Gilbert - were found in late December. But authorities say Gilbert accidentally drowned.
Suffolk County police are asking anyone with information about the woman's identity to contact them or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, gilgo beach, serial killer, long island news
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- Mega Millions hits $400M for Friday drawing
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
24 min ago