Long Island News
Did squatters lead to Hempstead home invasion?
HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- Neighbors say every day they're confronted with aggressive squatters who refuse to leave this Grove Avenue home and make it impossible for them to feel safe.
Tammy Mitchell lives across the street and says violence, drugs and prostitution have been a problem here for years.
"Everybody on the block knows about it. We have complained time and time again. The village has let us down. This should not have happened," she said.
So it came as no surprise to these Hempstead residents that three men busted through the front door of this Sunday night.
One was holding a handgun, followed by two more carrying knives, looking for money and drugs and stopping at nothing to get it.
"We believe that the house was targeted. They were looking for a specific individual that person wasn't home. When that person wasn't there they sought to locate money and drugs," Det. Lt. Raymond Cote said.
Not only did they rob the home, two of them men sexually assaulted a 44 year old woman in the bathroom. They later ordered several people to lie on the floor.
One woman had her hands tied behind her back. Another suffered a seizure and a third managed to escape by jumping out of a window.
Berta Baez told me in Spanish there's nothing neighbors can do about it, but Dennis Cybert hopes residents don't give up.
"I think that it's a tragedy and I hope for the best for the family, but I don't want people to be scared off from Hempstead because Hempstead is improving," he said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hempstead, crime, home invasion, squatters, long island news, carolina leid
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual 35 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Metro-North derailment sparks rules review 48 min ago
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion 56 min ago
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say 37 min ago
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million