Long Island News
Homeless student becomes Intel semifinalist
BRENTWOOD, N.Y. (WABC) -- At Brentwood High School they've never been prouder.
"I woke up my dad, I'm like, 'Daddy wake up! I'm an Intel semifinalist!' He was like, 'What's that?'" said Samantha Garvey, an Intel semifinalist.
Senior Samantha Garvey has been named a semi finalist in the nation's most prestigious science contest.
"I was like, 'It's Intel! A competition I applied for!' He said, 'Oh that's great,' I said, 'its awesome!'" Garvey said.
Top marks, for an aspiring marine biologist who studied salt marshes off Long Island.
But it's so much more meaningful for the hardship she faces every day.
Samantha and her family lost their home to the economy after a car accident left her parents Leo and Olga unable to work or pay the rent.
"Nothing has stopped her. Not even the bad situation, the economic situation we're going through, not going to stop her," said Olga Garvey, Samantha's mother.
According to the National Center for Family Homelessness, the number of children on the street has skyrocketed to 38% during the recession, to a record 1.6 million homeless kids nationwide.
By state, New York ranks 15th worst with 142,084.
535 of them, are right here in the economically depressed Brentwood School District.
That's more than any other on Long Island.
"It was really difficult to comprehend that here we are in this society and we have so much yet this amazing family doesn't even have a roof over their head," said Rebecca Grella, Brentwood High School.
"There are other people out there people my age going through the same exact thing," Samantha Garvey said, "Hopefully it just makes them see that there's going to be better. And that if I can do it then so can they. They can do just as much if not more than I can do."
Samantha will find out in two weeks if she's been named one of six finalists.
Her next stop is college.
She's waiting to hear from Brown and Yale.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, brentwood, student, long island news, josh einiger
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 53 min ago
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Man says he was unjustly pepper sprayed by police
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing Muslim girl 51 min ago
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos