Long Island News
LI home invasion ends in police shootout
VALLEY STREAM, N.Y. (WABC) -- Police officers and thieves traded shots outside a home on Long Island Monday night.
The incident started as a home invasion on Dana Avenue in Valley Stream. Police say the six residents, including four children, were tied up by the suspects, who opened fire as officers responded to the scene.
The officers fired back, and one of the suspects was found dead in the home. However, Nassau County police Lieutenant John Azzata says the suspect may have shot himself.
At least one suspect was seen being taken from the house in handcuffs. Police are investigating if other suspects may have fled the scene.
No officers were hit, but four needed treatment for trauma.
More than 15 police cars, a helicopter and a canine unit were rushed in to seal off the area.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, home invasion, valley stream, long island news
- Newtown 911 calls released
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week 49 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze' 33 min ago
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died 34 min ago
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Moriches boat crash injures 3 fishermen
- Search for missing teenager in Linden, New Jersey
- Woman's body discovered in Rochelle Park
- 5-year old girl from East Harlem found
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
33 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
49 min ago