Long Island News
LI woman hurt, husband arrested for DWI
EAST FARMINGDALE (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are investigating a crash that seriously injured a woman and left her husband facing drunk driving charges.
The incident happened on Wellwood Avenue at the Long Island Expressway in East Farmingdale just before 8 p.m. Tuesday.
Police say Ronald Giovelli was driving southbound on Wellwood Avenue when he stopped to make a turn and was struck by a car driven by 57-year-old Jeffery Hirsch.
Hirsch's wife, 57-year-old Pauline Hirsch, was initially transported by East Farmingdale Fire Department Rescue to St. Joseph's Hospital in Bethpage. She was then transferred to Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow, where she was treated for serious injuries.
Giovelli, 40, and his passenger were transported to St. Joseph's Hospital, where they were treated for non-life-threatening injuries and released.
Jeffery Hirsch, was treated for minor injuries and released. He is charged with driving while intoxicated.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, east farmingdale, drunk driving, long island news
- Investigators search for clues, victims in East Harlem explosion 49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- More East Harlem explosion victims identified 44 min ago
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 13 min ago
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath & Beyond
- High winds damage power lines, Bed, Bath & Beyond store
- Man found alive in body bag dies weeks later
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape