Long Island News
Homeless science whiz gets new home Saturday
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's a great ending to a whirlwind week for a homeless teenage science whiz on Long Island.
Saturday, the Suffolk County Executive will present Samantha Garvey and her family with keys to their own home.
Samantha, who was living in a homeless shelter with her family, became news after she was named a semi-finalist in the Intel Science Competition.
She didn't make the finals, but what a week she's had.
On Tuesday, she was a guest of the President at his State of the Union Address.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, student, long island news
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini dies at 51 31 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Man dies in scuffle with police outside Bronx bodega 18 min ago
- Woman thrown from motorcycle, hit by cab 11 min ago
- 3 slashed during disupte in Morningside Heights 5 min ago
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Upstate NY men accused of trying to make X-ray weapon
- Body found near Patriot's home was homicide victim
- Whistle-blower taped guards sleeping at JFK airport
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years 31 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos