Long Island News
Homeless science whiz gets new home Saturday
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's a great ending to a whirlwind week for a homeless teenage science whiz on Long Island.
Saturday, the Suffolk County Executive will present Samantha Garvey and her family with keys to their own home.
Samantha, who was living in a homeless shelter with her family, became news after she was named a semi-finalist in the Intel Science Competition.
She didn't make the finals, but what a week she's had.
On Tuesday, she was a guest of the President at his State of the Union Address.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, student, long island news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Suspect questioned after body found in container
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Up Close with Diana Williams