Long Island News
Nassau County proposes cutting police precincts
NASSAU CO. (WABC) -- Nassau County is proposing cutting the number of the police department's eight precincts in half.
The county would turn four police precincts into so-called community policing centers, which officials said could save taxpayers some 20 million dollars every year.
"No longer will three precincts do the work of the five others. That's silly and that doesn't make sense," Suffolk County Police Commissioner Thomas Dale said.
But some people wonder at what cost? More than 100 people, including officers but mostly administrative personnel, will be laid off from the four precincts.
Expected to turn into community centers include the first precinct in Baldwin, the fifth in Elmont, the sixth in Manhasset and the eighth in Levittown.
James Carver, the head of the Nassau County PBA, is outraged.
"Police stations aren't here to make money. This is all the accountants, so let's negatively impact public safety to do this, Carver said.
People are concerned about what it all means for their safety.
The centers will be staffed 24/7 with officers, but the officers will not be able to process arrests and will not be dispatched to respond to criminal activity.
"I know they're trying to cut back and save money. They have to be careful where they're cutting from what communities. There are a lot of problems here in Elmont," business owner Joseph Sardelli said.
County officials are reassuring people, however, that all 177 patrol cars will remain on the streets and response time will not be affected.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
nassau county, long island, police, community policing, budget cuts, long island news
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up 36 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: 'Amazing' no one died in train crash 53 min ago
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime 15 min ago
- 2 win Mega Millions, Powerball jumps to $600 million
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case
- Video: Marine, dog reunited in surprise ceremony
- Oxbow wins the Preakness Stakes 32 min ago
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
36 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos