Long Island News
Restaurant owner loses $60k after Giants win
MASSAPEQUA PARK, N.Y. (WABC) -- At Smokin' Al's they're smokin' receipts, $60,000 worth of orders made for Super Bowl Sunday.
"This one is $417.12," said Al Horowitz, Smokin' Al's owner.
He made a bet with customers; place an order between $200 and $500 and if the Giants win, he'd refund all your money.
"I thought it was really ballsy," said one customer.
"I'm happy about it. (Happy about losing 60,000?) Well, I'm happy about what I got in return. It's priceless," Horowitz said.
Like doing huge amounts of business, all last week and attracting new customers.
"He's going to get it back 10 fold in my opinion," one customer said.
So let's be honest.
Did people who cashed in on the bet root extra hard for the Giants because they wanted a free lunch on Smokin Al's?
"I didn't think about it. Until I came in this morning and saw the bill on my desk and I said this worked out pretty well," said Chris Sadusky, a customer.
Eyewitness News asked Horowitz if anyone called and told him that they really liked his food keep the money, but he laughed and said, "No."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, new york giants, long island news
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 1 winning ticket sold for record Powerball jackpot
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Metro North crash
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime
- Oxbow wins the Preakness Stakes
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos