Long Island News
Restaurant owner loses $60k after Giants win
MASSAPEQUA PARK, N.Y. (WABC) -- At Smokin' Al's they're smokin' receipts, $60,000 worth of orders made for Super Bowl Sunday.
"This one is $417.12," said Al Horowitz, Smokin' Al's owner.
He made a bet with customers; place an order between $200 and $500 and if the Giants win, he'd refund all your money.
"I thought it was really ballsy," said one customer.
"I'm happy about it. (Happy about losing 60,000?) Well, I'm happy about what I got in return. It's priceless," Horowitz said.
Like doing huge amounts of business, all last week and attracting new customers.
"He's going to get it back 10 fold in my opinion," one customer said.
So let's be honest.
Did people who cashed in on the bet root extra hard for the Giants because they wanted a free lunch on Smokin Al's?
"I didn't think about it. Until I came in this morning and saw the bill on my desk and I said this worked out pretty well," said Chris Sadusky, a customer.
Eyewitness News asked Horowitz if anyone called and told him that they really liked his food keep the money, but he laughed and said, "No."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, new york giants, long island news
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87 44 min ago
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 11 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 2 min ago
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest