Long Island News
Restaurant owner loses $60k after Giants win
MASSAPEQUA PARK, N.Y. (WABC) -- At Smokin' Al's they're smokin' receipts, $60,000 worth of orders made for Super Bowl Sunday.
"This one is $417.12," said Al Horowitz, Smokin' Al's owner.
He made a bet with customers; place an order between $200 and $500 and if the Giants win, he'd refund all your money.
"I thought it was really ballsy," said one customer.
"I'm happy about it. (Happy about losing 60,000?) Well, I'm happy about what I got in return. It's priceless," Horowitz said.
Like doing huge amounts of business, all last week and attracting new customers.
"He's going to get it back 10 fold in my opinion," one customer said.
So let's be honest.
Did people who cashed in on the bet root extra hard for the Giants because they wanted a free lunch on Smokin Al's?
"I didn't think about it. Until I came in this morning and saw the bill on my desk and I said this worked out pretty well," said Chris Sadusky, a customer.
Eyewitness News asked Horowitz if anyone called and told him that they really liked his food keep the money, but he laughed and said, "No."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, new york giants, long island news
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos