Long Island News
Girl released from hospital after horrible accident
PORT JEFFERSON, N.Y. (WABC) -- A 4-year-old girl on Long Island has made a remarkable recovery.
She went home Thursday from the hospital, four months after a car accident that killed her mother and older brother.
What you're seeing here is nothing short of a miracle.
Doctors thought 4-year-old Mariaelena Trinca might never walk, speak or maybe even eat again on her own.
"To see her fighting to walk, fighting to hold a spoon, fighting to feed herself, it's very hard, but she's come a long way," said Pat Trinca, grandmother.
Back in October in Manorville, a van collided with a car carrying Mariaelena, her older brother Jason, and her mother, Keri Trinca.
Jason and Keri were killed.
Mariaelena's other brother Christopher was in the car and survived.
Mariaelena though suffered a traumatic brain injury.
But now, after months of surgeries and intense, grueling therapy, she's blowing kisses to her therapists and she's going home.
"She's really a miracle, a little 4-year-old miracle," said her uncle.
Her father, Jason Trinca, read from a prepared statement and thanked everyone at St. Charles Hospital in Port Jefferson.
"Although she still has a long road to be fully recovered, I have confidence in her outpatient team and I'm sure she'll continue to shock those around her, and I will continue to be by her side 24-7," Jason Trinca said.
If you look in Mariaelena's eyes you can almost see the determination.
So, it's no surprise that her therapists say she never gave up.
"I think she in some respect knew the end result or knew what we were working toward," said Stefanie Costa, therapist, "She really touched all of our hearts and she was just amazing to work with, smiled, gave us hugs."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, port jefferson, accident, long island news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 32 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway 32 min ago
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
32 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos