Long Island News
N. Bay Shore man denies killing ex-gf and her child
RIVERHEAD, N.Y. -- A New York man is denying murder charges in the deaths of his former girlfriend and the woman's 2-year-old son.
24-year-old Jerry Lewis of North Bay Shore entered not guilty pleas Tuesday in Suffolk County Court in Riverhead.
Lewis is accused of repeatedly stabbing 21-year-old Shakeela Planter last December in the woman's North Bay Shore apartment. The woman's 2-year-old son Jaiden, was found beaten to death. A prosecutor says several "severe bite marks" were found on the boy's body.
After the killings, Lewis fled to Maryland, where his mother lives. He later surrendered to police and was sent back to New York.
Defense attorney Craig McElwee said he would investigate whether any psychological issues were involved.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, bay shore, murder, child death, long island news
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos