Long Island News
N. Bay Shore man denies killing ex-gf and her child
RIVERHEAD, N.Y. -- A New York man is denying murder charges in the deaths of his former girlfriend and the woman's 2-year-old son.
24-year-old Jerry Lewis of North Bay Shore entered not guilty pleas Tuesday in Suffolk County Court in Riverhead.
Lewis is accused of repeatedly stabbing 21-year-old Shakeela Planter last December in the woman's North Bay Shore apartment. The woman's 2-year-old son Jaiden, was found beaten to death. A prosecutor says several "severe bite marks" were found on the boy's body.
After the killings, Lewis fled to Maryland, where his mother lives. He later surrendered to police and was sent back to New York.
Defense attorney Craig McElwee said he would investigate whether any psychological issues were involved.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, bay shore, murder, child death, long island news
- I-5 bridge collapses into Skagit River 12 min ago
- Heavy rain sparks flash flooding 5 min ago
- AccuWeather Alert: Drenching downpours
- Eyewitness News Live
- Actress Amanda Bynes arrested in Midtown 19 min ago
- Officer arrested in firebombing of captain's home
- Jury deadlocked on Jodi Arias penalty
- Boy attacked by another on city bus, video
- Boy Scouts to accept openly gay boys as Scouts
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy 1 min ago
- Anthony Weiner starts stumping in mayoral bid
- Rangers stay alive with OT goal against Bruins
- abcnews: 'Extremely Active' Potential For Hurricane...
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma