Long Island News
LI home set on fire by suspected arsonist
MERRICK, N.Y. (WABC) -- A Long Island family's home is destroyed by flames and a complete stranger is under arrest for arson.
Police say he broke into the family's garage and set the house on fire.
The house is still standing but that's about all that's left of 17 Loines Avenue in Merrick after flames gutted this home and sent the residents fleeing for their lives.
It was 6 a.m. Sunday morning when a fire was started inside this garage which quickly spread to the house and the car in the driveway.
The couple inside escaped the biting blaze. We're told their dog was later rescued.
Police arrested George Diamond, 23, from Brentwood near the scene.
He was wearing only a t-shirt, shorts and socks.
Officials believe he broke into the garage with the intent to steal, then took a match to some papers.
It's not clear why arson, if he was allegedly trying to cover his tracks.
One report described him as homeless and cold.
But police report he was not homeless and he was not trying to stay warm.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, arson, long island news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife 10 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 30 min ago
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Photos: Easter 2014 Around the World
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos