Long Island News
LI man arrested for crash that injured cop
NASSAU COUNTY (WABC) -- The man accused of slamming on his brakes to cause a crash that injured a Nassau County Police officer is under arrest.
The officer was injured while chasing the suspect back in November.
One look at the wreckage and you'd be astonished to hear the police officer behind the wheel of this cruiser somehow survived.
"Her injuries were very extensive, extremely life threatening, she is quite frankly very fortunate to be alive," Chief Steven Skrynecki of the Nassau County Police Department said.
It was no accident and now, more than three months after the crash, police say they've caught up with the man who nearly killed a veteran cop.
Three days before Thanksgiving investigators say Louie Blanton, 23, had been driving around a North Massapequa neighborhood acting suspiciously enough for someone to call 911.
"This is a suspicious individual in a burglary prone area at the time, the officer gets that information finds the car," Chief Skrynecki said.
But the driver was not about to stop and jumped onto the Southern State Parkway.
"The operator of this vehicle applied the brakes of the vehicle he was operating in hoping the police officer in the vehicle chasing, would crash," Det. Lt. John Azzata of the Nassau County Police Department said.
And crash she did.
Her injuries so severe, she couldn't talk to investigators.
But an alert eyewitness snapped a picture of the suspect's car and another tipster overhead Blanton implicating himself in the crash.
Throw in relentless police work and now detectives have their man.
A man they say would stop at nothing, to get away.
Out of deference to her privacy police have asked us not to reveal the officer's identity, as she continues to recover.
Her body so broken, most of her limbs are still immobilized to prevent more damage.
Meanwhile Louie Blanton has started his own ride through the justice system; his bond now set at $500,000.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, nassau county, police, police officer injured, long island news, josh einiger
- Designer L'Wren Scott dead in apparent suicide
- AccuWeather: Clearing And Cold 45 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Company insider comes forward against energy company 37 min ago
- Photos: NYC St. Patrick's Day Parade
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays
- Suspect accused of setting Brooklyn apartment fire 9 min ago
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Earthquake shakes Los Angeles awake 52 min ago
- Tuesday last day to apply for TCS NYC Marathon 18 min ago
- Photos: Dancing With The Stars Season 18 cast
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- AccuWeather: Clearing And Cold
45 min ago