Long Island News
Driver who ran out of gas killed on LIE
COMMACK (WABC) -- Police in Suffolk County are investigating a crash that killed a man who was walking to his car parked along the Long Island Expressway in Commack.
Investigators say Kelly Hinlicky, 24, was driving her 2006 Chevrolet westbound entering the Long Island Expressway when she struck Aaron Thomas, who was crossing the entrance ramp to the Expressway at 8 p.m. Saturday.
Thomas had been driving west on the Expressway when his vehicle ran out of gas.
He left the vehicle parked on a safety zone between the Express portion of the road and the entrance ramp when he went to purchase gas on Commack Road. Thomas was returning with the gas when he was struck.
Thomas, 19, of Amityville, was transported to Huntington Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, commack, long island expressway, accident, long island news
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- AccuWeather: Warm and mild
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday 45 min ago
- Official: 'Amazing' no one died in train crash 48 min ago
- Man fatally shot in head in West Village
- 2 win Mega Millions, Powerball jumps to $600 million
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion 23 min ago
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case 39 min ago
- Video: Marine, dog reunited in surprise ceremony
- Orb trainer fights nerves at Preakness
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos