Long Island News
LI funeral set for US journalist killed in Syria
OYSTER BAY -- A funeral Mass is scheduled for March 12 on Long Island for journalist Marie Colvin, who was killed covering the uprising in Syria.
The 56-year-old Colvin was a longtime reporter for Britain's Sunday Times. She and French photographer Remi Ochlik died Feb. 22 in shelling while trapped inside the besieged Baba Amr district of Homs.
Her body was taken from the country last week and is en route to the U.S.
Colvin was a graduate of Oyster Bay High School on Long Island. Her mother lives in nearby East Norwich.
A wake will be held Saturday and Sunday at the Oyster Bay Funeral Home.
A funeral Mass will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Monday at St. Dominic Roman Catholic Church in Oyster Bay.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, syria, oyster bay, long island news
- Sources confirm subway child is missing NYC boy 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 26 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Sources confirm subway child is missing NYC...
4 min ago