Long Island News
LI funeral set for US journalist killed in Syria
OYSTER BAY -- A funeral Mass is scheduled for March 12 on Long Island for journalist Marie Colvin, who was killed covering the uprising in Syria.
The 56-year-old Colvin was a longtime reporter for Britain's Sunday Times. She and French photographer Remi Ochlik died Feb. 22 in shelling while trapped inside the besieged Baba Amr district of Homs.
Her body was taken from the country last week and is en route to the U.S.
Colvin was a graduate of Oyster Bay High School on Long Island. Her mother lives in nearby East Norwich.
A wake will be held Saturday and Sunday at the Oyster Bay Funeral Home.
A funeral Mass will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Monday at St. Dominic Roman Catholic Church in Oyster Bay.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, syria, oyster bay, long island news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 36 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death 20 min ago
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Mayor-elect de Blasio to visit White House
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- Charges expected in fraternity death
20 min ago
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
36 min ago