Long Island News
Report: Deadliest roads for pedestrians
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A new report out highlights the deadliest roads in the tri-state are for pedestrians.
More than 1,200 pedestrians were killed in a three year period.
The deadliest road of them all was found to be the Hempstead Turnpike in Nassau County.
There were 15 pedestrians killed along Hempstead Turnpike in Nassau County between 2008 and 2010, making it the most dangerous road in the tri-state area.
"Very dangerous this road, a lot of accidents over here," said Teddy Mattozo, a business owner.
Teddy Mattozo owns a jewelry shop along Hempstead Turnpike.
He's witnessed countless accidents, some of them deadly.
"Two people walking out of Wendy's, they got run over by a truck," Mattozo said.
Between 2008 and 2010, 15 pedestrians were killed along Hempstead Turnpike, including two brothers who were struck and killed by a drunk driver.
"Even if the signal is green for pedestrians, they don't stop," said Kanak Sengal, a pedestrian.
The Tri-state Transportation Committee analyzed accident data for pedestrians killed on roads in our area.
According to their study, Hempstead Turnpike is the most treacherous for the fourth year in a row, followed by Broadway in Manhattan, Sunrise Highway in Suffolk County, US 1 and 9 in Union County, New Jersey, and Broadway in the Bronx.
"You never know who is going to pop out, they don't see you, you have to watch out," said Gregory Themelis, a pedestrian.
The non-profit group that released the study found that solutions like adding crosswalks or timed countdown signals can help keep walkers safe. But some pedestrians Eyewitness News talked to admit, they're not always careful.
"We're not careful at all, you saw what we did, we were halfway in the road," said Lucas Herrera, a pedestrian.
The study showed that in general, roads with two or more lanes in each direction are the most dangerous in general and that targeted policing and speed cameras can also improve safety.
To see dangerous roads in your area please visit: http://www.tstc.org/reports/danger12/
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, pedestrian struck, new york city, new jersey, long island news, jen maxfield
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 56 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
56 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos