Long Island News
LI man in explosives probe remanded without bail
WOODMERE (WABC) -- A Long Island man accused having an arsenal of weapons and explosives inside a home filled with marijuana plants pleaded not guilty and was ordered held without bail Thursday.
Marc Ringel, of Woodmere, was arrested at his elderly parents' home Tuesday night. Police responding to a silent alarm at the house smelled the odor of numerous marijuana plants and later found 120 weapons, pipe bombs, grenades and about 50 pounds of explosives.
Approximately 20 homes in his neighborhood were temporarily evacuated.
The unemployed Ringel was arraigned in Nassau County District Court on drugs and weapons charges.
Police are still investigating, but said it does not appear he was associated with any terror groups.
Authorites say Ringel had enough weapons inside his home on Narrow Lane to blow up the entire block.
LINK: VIEW PHOTOS OF WEAPONS
Ringel's lawyer described the cache as a "hobby that got out of control," and says that Ringel was planning on selling the antique firearms on eBay. He also said he has a big issue with the way search conducted.
Ringel reportedly helped advise the FBI on how to dismantle some of the bombs so that no one would get hurt. His lawyer says he had no evil intentions and is going through a terrible divorce, with custody issues regarding his two children.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, woodmere, long island news
- Yonkers fire injures family of four
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year 10 min ago
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen 18 min ago
- Spring Valley police to announce arrest in Baby Angel case
- Residents warned to look out for black ice 53 min ago
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Local 7 line service resumes after signal problems
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Infant brought to NYC hospital by parents pronounced dead 37 min ago
- World leaders bow, pray at Nelson Mandela's casket
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
53 min ago