Long Island News
Woman falls off bike, struck by hit and run driver
MASSAPEQUA, New York (WABC) -- Police say a Massapequa mother who was bicycling near her children's elementary school, was struck by a hit and run driver.
Ellen Meany, 45, suffered serious head injuries while riding against traffic in a northbound land on Unqua Road when she accidentally ran into a mirror of a parked car and fell off her bike.
Police say at that time she was then struck by what appeared to be an older model, teal-colored Ford Taurus.
The accident took place near Unqua Elementary School , where Meany's children attend.
"Our concern, clearly, was that it was in close proximity to a school," Massapequa school district Superintendent Charles V. Sulc said. "God forbid it was earlier in the day or later in the day, and a child was out there crossing."
Meany is listed in critical condition at Nassau University Medical Center.
Detectives ask anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers at 800-244-TIPS.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 46 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing...
46 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos