Long Island News
Woman falls off bike, struck by hit and run driver
MASSAPEQUA, New York (WABC) -- Police say a Massapequa mother who was bicycling near her children's elementary school, was struck by a hit and run driver.
Ellen Meany, 45, suffered serious head injuries while riding against traffic in a northbound land on Unqua Road when she accidentally ran into a mirror of a parked car and fell off her bike.
Police say at that time she was then struck by what appeared to be an older model, teal-colored Ford Taurus.
The accident took place near Unqua Elementary School , where Meany's children attend.
"Our concern, clearly, was that it was in close proximity to a school," Massapequa school district Superintendent Charles V. Sulc said. "God forbid it was earlier in the day or later in the day, and a child was out there crossing."
Meany is listed in critical condition at Nassau University Medical Center.
Detectives ask anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers at 800-244-TIPS.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 41 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Man charged with fatally shooting wife in Queens
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 7 min ago
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Photos: Easter 2014 Around the World
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
41 min ago