Long Island News
Woman falls off bike, struck by hit and run driver
MASSAPEQUA, New York (WABC) -- Police say a Massapequa mother who was bicycling near her children's elementary school, was struck by a hit and run driver.
Ellen Meany, 45, suffered serious head injuries while riding against traffic in a northbound land on Unqua Road when she accidentally ran into a mirror of a parked car and fell off her bike.
Police say at that time she was then struck by what appeared to be an older model, teal-colored Ford Taurus.
The accident took place near Unqua Elementary School , where Meany's children attend.
"Our concern, clearly, was that it was in close proximity to a school," Massapequa school district Superintendent Charles V. Sulc said. "God forbid it was earlier in the day or later in the day, and a child was out there crossing."
Meany is listed in critical condition at Nassau University Medical Center.
Detectives ask anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers at 800-244-TIPS.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box 30 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act