Long Island News
Huge weapons cache found in East Meadow
EAST MEADOW, N.Y. (WABC) -- There has been yet another shocking discovery of military weaponry on Long Island.
This time it was in a quiet East Meadow neighborhood.
The man who rented the house is now under arrest.
When state police walked Michael Anderson out in handcuffs he didn't say anything when asked about an arsenal of weapons.
It's a large cache of firepower that included two grenade launchers, two military assault weapons, seven rifles, a shot gun, four handguns and thousands of rounds of military ammunition.
"The grenade launchers are capable of firing large millimeter type of projectile that can do a lot of damage," police said.
The weapons, troopers reveal, were discovered in this home on Bernice Drive.
The ground floor was rented, neighbors say, by Anderson and his girlfriend Rachel Jonyer.
Jonyer approached a state trooper along the nearby Wantagh Parkway accusing Anderson, they say, of chasing her following a domestic incident.
Troopers arrested Anderson and say they later heard that he might have several firearms.
"Some of the weapons are legally possessed weapons that have been modified in ways that make them illegal . Some of the handguns have been defaced and are more likely stolen," police said.
A neighbor who didn't want to be identified says she became suspicious of activity at the house when she smelled marijuana wafting from the home.
"I didn't know they had weapons in there. But, we knew there was something going on in there, whether it was drugs, something illegal was happening in there," the neighbor said.
The arsenal of weapons, especially military, raises serious concern for neighbors who can't believe the amount of firepower there.
Nick Montanino lives right across the street.
"It's crazy. I've heard a couple of stories. It's hard to believe, you know. Right next door to your house and in this neighborhood," Montanino said.
Norman checkers, another neighbor who was out walking his dog is certainly relieved the arsenal was discovered.
"You never know it could be next door or around the block. You would never know. I am glad things came to pass," Checkers said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, gun, east meadow, long island news, tim fleischer
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito 20 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
33 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos