Long Island News
LI journalist killed in Syria remembered
OYSTER BAY, N.Y. (WABC) -- Friends and family gathered on Long Island to remember a war journalist killed in Syria.
A wake was held Sunday in Oyster Bay for Marie Colvin, who was on assignment for the Sunday Times of London when she and a French journalist were killed in a rocket attack.
A wake was also held on Saturday.
One of those on hand to say goodbye was New York Congressman Peter King.
"This is, again, an amazing example of heroism, to actually have someone in your midst, someone who is living with you to be known throughout the world and to die so heroically. There's no reason she had to be there, no one made her go there. She knew how dangerous it was and she was in probably the most dangerous country and actually volunteered to go into the most dangerous part of the most dangerous country," Rep. King (NY-R) said.
A funeral for Colvin will be held on Monday in Oyster Bay.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, syria, oyster bay, long island news
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 51 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam 17 min ago
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 18 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day...
14 min ago
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
51 min ago
- Man who took video explains high school fued
9 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos