Long Island News
LI journalist killed in Syria remembered
OYSTER BAY, N.Y. (WABC) -- Friends and family gathered on Long Island to remember a war journalist killed in Syria.
A wake was held Sunday in Oyster Bay for Marie Colvin, who was on assignment for the Sunday Times of London when she and a French journalist were killed in a rocket attack.
A wake was also held on Saturday.
One of those on hand to say goodbye was New York Congressman Peter King.
"This is, again, an amazing example of heroism, to actually have someone in your midst, someone who is living with you to be known throughout the world and to die so heroically. There's no reason she had to be there, no one made her go there. She knew how dangerous it was and she was in probably the most dangerous country and actually volunteered to go into the most dangerous part of the most dangerous country," Rep. King (NY-R) said.
A funeral for Colvin will be held on Monday in Oyster Bay.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, syria, oyster bay, long island news
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments