Long Island News
Heroin distribution ring busted on Long Island
LONG ISLAND -- Federal prosecutors say they've busted a ring responsible for much of the heroin distribution on Long Island.
Among the suspects are a married couple, and a father and daughter. They also include a woman accused of selling heroin from the parking lot of an aquaintance's restaurant.
The U.S. attorney's office says 20 people were arrested Tuesday on an indictment charging them with conspiracy to distribute heroin.
Each would face a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years if convicted.
Prosecutors say the ring was centralized in Queens. They say it had distribution networks in Nassau and Suffolk counties, and a storage facility in Brooklyn.
In the last nine months, members allegedly distributed heroin worth nearly $3 million on the street. Investigators used wiretaps and drug purchases to gather evidence.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, drug bust, drug arrest, heroin, long island news
- Jet may have turned; 2 passengers investigated 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 41 min ago
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt 3 min ago
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Jet may have turned; 2 passengers...
29 min ago