Long Island News
School briefly placed on lockdown after carjacking
NORTH MERRICK (WABC) -- A Long Island elementary school was briefly placed on lockdown Tuesday afternoon while police searched for a second carjacking suspect following a crash into the school.
"Oh yeah. Got a gun stuck in your face I'm sure you'd be a little shaky," said Geralyn Verde, the victim's mother.
The drama started in the normally quiet Hicksville neighborhood.
Geralyn Verde's son Christopher was checking his oil in the garage, when two men appeared out of nowhere, asking for directions to the Northern State Parkway.
"Took his car his wallet his cell phone, took it all," Verde said.
15 minutes later, plainclothes cops from Nassau County's elite bureau of special operations spotted the Infiniti in North Bellmore.
They devised a plan to box it in with unmarked cars, but the driver got away, driving into Merrick and screeching into the parking lot at Harold Fayette School.
"It was like a screech, crash, and it was crazy," a student said.
Class was in session as the bad guy rammed a police Jeep head on in the parking lot, and then slammed into the outside of a first grade classroom.
That's when cops say the driver headed for the school's front door.
"When the suspect exited his vehicle it appears he did a great job, tackled the guy before he got close to the school," police said.
"Fortunately, our doors are kept locked all the time so the suspect wasn't able to get into the school," a school official said.
"Nobody knew what was going on," said John Scalesi, an eyewitness.
Eyewitness John Scalesi snapped a picture of a detective standing over the suspect, after four police officers were taken to the hospital.
Three of them were hurt in that head on crash
School officials immediately put the school on lockdown as parents rushed to the scene, but discovered a happy ending to a very scary day at school.
"I was like, I want to get out of here," said Kristen Huber, 9-years-old.
No children were hurt.
One suspect was taken into custody, and police are still looking for the second.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hicksville, merrick, accident, carjacking, school lockdown, long island news, josh einiger
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 8 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth 40 min ago
- Suspect identified in attempted baby abduction 10 min ago
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident 12 min ago
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche 14 min ago
- Yonkers family outraged after dog mauled by pit bull 43 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Suspect identified in attempted baby...
10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
8 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
14 min ago