Long Island News
School briefly placed on lockdown after carjacking
NORTH MERRICK (WABC) -- A Long Island elementary school was briefly placed on lockdown Tuesday afternoon while police searched for a second carjacking suspect following a crash into the school.
"Oh yeah. Got a gun stuck in your face I'm sure you'd be a little shaky," said Geralyn Verde, the victim's mother.
The drama started in the normally quiet Hicksville neighborhood.
Geralyn Verde's son Christopher was checking his oil in the garage, when two men appeared out of nowhere, asking for directions to the Northern State Parkway.
"Took his car his wallet his cell phone, took it all," Verde said.
15 minutes later, plainclothes cops from Nassau County's elite bureau of special operations spotted the Infiniti in North Bellmore.
They devised a plan to box it in with unmarked cars, but the driver got away, driving into Merrick and screeching into the parking lot at Harold Fayette School.
"It was like a screech, crash, and it was crazy," a student said.
Class was in session as the bad guy rammed a police Jeep head on in the parking lot, and then slammed into the outside of a first grade classroom.
That's when cops say the driver headed for the school's front door.
"When the suspect exited his vehicle it appears he did a great job, tackled the guy before he got close to the school," police said.
"Fortunately, our doors are kept locked all the time so the suspect wasn't able to get into the school," a school official said.
"Nobody knew what was going on," said John Scalesi, an eyewitness.
Eyewitness John Scalesi snapped a picture of a detective standing over the suspect, after four police officers were taken to the hospital.
Three of them were hurt in that head on crash
School officials immediately put the school on lockdown as parents rushed to the scene, but discovered a happy ending to a very scary day at school.
"I was like, I want to get out of here," said Kristen Huber, 9-years-old.
No children were hurt.
One suspect was taken into custody, and police are still looking for the second.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hicksville, merrick, accident, carjacking, school lockdown, long island news, josh einiger
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos