Long Island News
Superintendent resigns amid grade changing scandal
BELLPORT, N.Y. (WABC) -- A school superintendent on Long Island agreed to resign Wednesday night amid a grade-changing scandal.
The resignation of Superintendent Joe Cipp, Jr. was announced during the South Country Central School Board meeting.
A preliminary report alleged the grades for Bellport High School athlete Ryan Sloan were altered to qualify the football star for an NCAA scholarship to Syracuse University.
Sloan's football coach was Cipp at the time and the report says that he was likely either involved or knew what was going on.
The investigation began after Bellport principal Kevin O'Connell said he was fired for failing to raise the student's marks. O'Connell has since filed a wrongful termination suit against the South Country Central School District.
Cipp denies he was part of any wrongdoing.
Sloan, a freshman at Syracuse University and member of the school's football team, has declined to comment on the case, but says he worked hard to improve his grades.
The agreement calls for Cipp to resign effective May 2, 2012. After that date, he will be reassigned to other duties.
The School Board will pay Cipp his salary for the next two years, which they say is less then legal fees would have cost if he didn't resign. They say fees would have cost around $1 million, a "substantial" cost to the district.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, bellport, long island news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault 26 min ago
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- 3-year-old boy gets stuck in Nebraska claw machine
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village...
26 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos