Long Island News
Body dumped in Manorville near other remains
MANORVILLE, N.Y. (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are investigating the discovery of another body in a wooded area in Manorville, where just last month human skeletal remains turned up.
The area has become somewhat of a dumping ground. Homicide investigators joined by members of the Suffolk County crime lab poured over The Manorville Hills County Park, which according to its website features the largest expanse of open land on Long Island. It features a network of hiking trails, with no roads.
A jogger discovered the body, facedown, on Wednesday afternoon. Police have no said if it's a man or a woman, but they say it was dumped relatively recently and had not decayed too much. They hope that helps with the identification process and to determine the cause of death.
Complicating matters, the body was found just a few miles from where another body turned up in February. That body was discovered fully decomposed by a man walking his dog, and investigators believe it had been dumped more than five years ago. Investigators have not released much information about that body, either, including gender or cause of death.
All of this has special significance because it is less than a mile away from where two torsos were found 10 years ago. Both of those sets of remains were later linked to two of the 10 victims of the Gilgo Beach serial killer. That investigation is going on about 50 miles away along Ocean Parkway.
Suffolk County police do not believe any of these cases are related.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, body found, long island news, josh einiger
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 52 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent 3 min ago
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx 39 min ago
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
52 min ago