Long Island News
Police identify body dumped in Manorville
MANORVILLE, N.Y. (WABC) -- Police on Long Island identified the body of a woman found in Manorville Park.
A man was also arrested for illegal dumping of human remains.
34-year-old Matthew Kraus had apparently injected heroin and taken Xanax along with 45-year-old Pura Simancas.
Simancas apparently died, and police say Kraus dumped her body in the woods sometime between February 27th and 28th.
The area has become somewhat of a dumping ground. Homicide investigators joined by members of the Suffolk County crime lab poured over The Manorville Hills County Park, which according to its website features the largest expanse of open land on Long Island. It features a network of hiking trails, with no roads.
A jogger discovered the body, facedown, on Wednesday afternoon.
Simancas' body was found just a few miles from where another body turned up in February. That body was discovered fully decomposed by a man walking his dog, and investigators believe it had been dumped more than five years ago. Investigators have not released much information about that body, including gender or cause of death.
The site is less than a mile away from where two torsos were found 10 years ago. Both of those sets of remains were later linked to two of the 10 victims of the Gilgo Beach serial killer. That investigation is going on about 50 miles away along Ocean Parkway.
Suffolk County Police do not believe any of these cases are related.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, body found, long island news
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 47 min ago
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos