Long Island News
Allegations of crime cover-up
MINEOLA, N.Y. (WABC) -- There are allegations of a cover-up after a crime on Long Island.
Some probation officers say a man involved in a carjacking that ended with a car crashing into a school last week never should have been out of jail.
They say after the crime papers were destroyed.
Admitted gang member Edwin Flores was grinning as cops led him and two buddies to court last week for their alleged roles in a carjacking that led to chaos.
All of which might have been prevented.
"We believe that the public is at risk. Public safety is severely at risk," said Jerry Larrichuta, of CSEA.
Monday, the leaders of Nassau County's two main municipal unions exposed what they call a cover up in the county probation office, which failed to arrest Flores before the carjacking, when there was every reason to.
"This is a dangerous fella who obviously should have been violated before this crime took place," Larrichuta said.
Flores, who's served time for robbery and assault, had violated his probation again and again by failing to report as required, by missing court ordered anger management, and for consorting with known gang members.
His probation officer tried to have him rearrested on March 5th, but claims her supervisors refused.
Two weeks later, Flores and two others allegedly stole that silver Infiniti at gunpoint from a man in Hicksville, and then split up.
Suspect Remick Menjivar was behind the wheel when police chased it into the parking lot at a Merrick elementary school.
He rammed an unmarked police jeep and slammed into a first grade classroom.
"It was like a screech, it was like *screech* crash," a little girl said.
The very next day, after police caught up to Flores, his probation officer alleges supervisors opened up the file and destroyed documents to cover up his past violations and their failure to take him off the street.
"Perhaps somebody thought they really should have did this to begin with, and now they're trying to cover up what they did in the past," said James Carver, of the PBA.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, carjacking, nassau county, long island news, josh einiger
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 4 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Golden Globes nominations announced 27 min ago
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating 15 min ago
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss 32 min ago
- Software engineer teaches homeless man how to code 40 min ago
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
4 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos