Long Island News
Home set on fire, cars vandalized in Ronkonkoma
RONKONKOMA (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are searching for suspects after a family was woken up overnight when their home was set on fire.
"Disheartened. I feel upset angry. Don't feel too safe," said Anthony Rooney, homeowner.
That's because his house, the one place Anthony Rooney should feel safe, was set on fire early Tuesday morning.
The family's cars were vandalized; keyed and spray painted with profanity.
"I feel kind of nervous that someone is trying to do something like that to us," said Justin Rooney, son.
Rooney and his two teenage sons were sleeping around 1:30 Tuesday morning when the smoke alarms went off at their house on Weichers Street.
Rooney woke up his sons who grabbed the family's yorkies.
One got trapped inside so Rooney ran back in.
"I had to throw the dog down to them and then I jumped out the window," Anthony Rooney said.
Police think someone set something on fire that was on the front porch.
They're speaking with neighbors to see if they saw anyone suspicious.
"Were going to discuss this with neighborhood people who might have been up or active at that early hour," said Deputy Inspector Harold Jantzen, Suffolk County Police Department.
"Do you have any reason to believe someone would want to hurt you?" Eyewitness News asked.
"I can't comment on that one," Anthony Rooney said.
But police say Rooney is talking with them and cooperating with the investigation.
The Suffolk County police arson squad is investigating the incident.
The family is staying with relatives in the neighborhood.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, ronkonkoma, fire, long island news
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 43 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus 53 min ago
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn 54 min ago
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia 19 min ago
- Community rallies around 13-year-old victim...
55 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
43 min ago
- Party bus goes very awry on Long Island
54 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos