Long Island News
Robbers targeting students on Long Island
UNIONDALE (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are issuing a warning for parents and students after at least five robberies.
A group of 5 to 7 suspects are apparently targeting students on their way home from class, stealing iPhones.
One of the victims was injured in the string of incidents, which all happened on the campus of Kellenberg Memorial High School or nearby. All of the robberies happened within the course of an hour.
The first incident happened around 3 p.m. Wednesday, when a 17-year-old girl walking to her car had her phone stolen by a group of between five and seven teenagers.
About a half hour later, two other teens walking home were targeted. Police say at least one of the suspects then went on campus and ripped a phone out of a 12-year-old girl's hand on the lacrosse field.
"They have a lot of nerve, I'm hoping there can be security this is a really safe school it's a little surprising," said Rob Lau, a student.
It was a surprise to staff here too. The principal told Eyewitness News they are meeting today to discuss ways to increase security on school grounds.
But the robberies extended beyond campus. In the final incident, a 13-year-old boy who was walking home near Emerson Street and Hempstead Boulevard was punched in the face when he tried to resist as a suspect made off with his phone.
Police are still trying to get a good description of the suspects. They say one was wearing a red hat and a black shirt, but that's all they know at this point.
"That's just something planned if it's between 5 and 7 teens probably planning to sell them so it's probably bigger than people think," Zach Clifford a student, said.
Detectives ask anyone with information regarding these crimes to contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, uniondale, robbery, long island news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos