Long Island News
Arrests after mailbox explosions on Long Island
ELMONT (WABC) -- Three men are under arrest on Long Island, accused of blowing up mailboxes.
Investigators say the men, in their early 20s, planted fireworks inside three mailboxes in Elmont early Monday.
The first was at 2:05 a.m. on Hunnewell Avenue. The owner told police he heard an explosion outside his house and discovered that his detached mailbox had been destroyed along with the mail inside.
Police say a large U.S. Postal mailbox was damaged on the corner of Madison and Cross streets around 5 a.m.
Another residential mailbox was damaged on Clement Avenue.
The suspects were identified as Daniel Aviles, Jacob Guerrero III and John Pinzon.
All three defendants have been charged with criminal mischief.
The three suspects and a fourth man were arrested after a brief police pursuit.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, elmont, fireworks, long island news
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 22 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 12 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos