Long Island News
Man released from jail after mercy killing
RIVERHEAD, N.Y. (WABC) -- A man on Long Island who killed his ailing mother last year has been released from jail.
Juan Gonzalez says he smothered his mom in a mercy killing.
"Yes, I'm sorry for everything," said Juan Gonzalez, convicted for killing his mother.
It looks as if 70-year-old Juan Gonzalez is carrying the world on his shoulders.
After spending six months in jail, charged with suffocating his ailing 98-year-old mother, Gonzalez walked free Tuesday.
"You want justice and sometimes it has to be tempered with mercy and in this case on these specific facts I believe that we tempered justice with mercy," said Glenn Kurtzrock, prosecutor.
It was last May.
Gonzalez was living in Brentwood with his deaf, blind, bedridden mother Teresa Aestete.
Gonzalez also had a host of health problems and believed he was dying.
Prosecutors say he put a plastic bag over his mother's head and then tried to kill himself by overdosing on his insulin medication.
"He did everything for his mother. He bathed her. He clothed her. He fed her There's no malice here. The motivation was really to put his mother and himself out of pain and misery," said Michael Brown, defense attorney.
"He indicated and we believe him that he loved her very, very much," said Thomas Spota, Suffolk County District Attorney.
Gonzalez is now in need of a double kidney transplant as a result of his insulin overdose.
He'll live with his daughter.
She was in court but hid her face from the cameras.
For Gonzalez, there was also very little to say.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, murder, long island news
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds 3 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Gridlock traffic for Memorial Day weekend getaway 35 min ago
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again 51 min ago
- 17-year-old brutally beaten with bat at gas station 6 min ago
- Police shoot and kill suspect in Ridgefield, Conn. 4 min ago
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
3 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos