Long Island News
Mom charged with murder in disabled girl's death
MINEOLA (WABC) -- A Long Island mother pleaded not guilty Wednesday to an upgraded murder charge in the death last summer of her 8-year-old disabled daughter.
The 31-year-old Cirella was initially charged with manslaughter, but the district attorney would not discuss what new information warranted the upgraded charges.
Judge David Sullivan ordered Cirella held without bail.
"The grand jury undertook an extremely comprehensive and thorough review of the facts and circumstances surrounding the untimely death of Julie Cirella," Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice said. "After hearing from many witnesses and Ms. Cirella herself, the grand jury returned an indictment for murder in the second degree. Every child's death arouses strong emotions, but prosecutors must evaluate the evidence objectively, and regardless of how difficult the defendant perceived her circumstances to be, taking her daughter's life was unjustified."
Authorities say that after killing her daughter, Cirella tried to kill herself. She left a note that said Julie, who had cerebral palsy, "should die."
Julie was found dead hours before she was set to be a flower girl in a cousin's wedding.
Cirella's attorney says she should be released on bail. He says the medical examiner hasn't yet determined the cause of Julie's death.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, mineola, plainfield, child death, murder, long island news
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95 17 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- VIDEO: Obama remembers Mandela
- Reaction to death of Nelson Mandela
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Who is Bill Bratton?
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women 38 min ago
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest
- Knicks crush Nets 113-83 29 min ago
- Nigella Lawson again denies heavy drug use
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos