Long Island News
Suspect in custody in Long Island mugging spree
UNIONDALE (WABC) -- A suspect has been arrested following a rash of cell-phone robberies near high schools on Long Island.
Police say 17-year-old Neal Compass, Jr., is charged with robbery for the incident in Uniondale.
Compass allegedly tried to snatch an iPhone from a student walking home from Uniondale High School. He has also been linked to an earlier robbery attempt.
At nearby Kellenberg High School last week, there were four similar robberies in just 50 minutes.
No weapons were displayed in any of the incidents, but a 13-year-old student was punched in the face when he refused to turn over his phone.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, uniondale, robbery, long island news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 37 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem 23 min ago
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
37 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos