Long Island News
Suspect in custody in Long Island mugging spree
UNIONDALE (WABC) -- A suspect has been arrested following a rash of cell-phone robberies near high schools on Long Island.
Police say 17-year-old Neal Compass, Jr., is charged with robbery for the incident in Uniondale.
Compass allegedly tried to snatch an iPhone from a student walking home from Uniondale High School. He has also been linked to an earlier robbery attempt.
At nearby Kellenberg High School last week, there were four similar robberies in just 50 minutes.
No weapons were displayed in any of the incidents, but a 13-year-old student was punched in the face when he refused to turn over his phone.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, uniondale, robbery, long island news
- 90-minute delays after LIRR service suspension 13 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 1 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians 16 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
1 min ago