Long Island News
Plaques stolen off graves in Nassau County
HICKSVILLE, N.Y. (WABC) -- Grave robbers were at work in Nassau County ripping off headstones from half a dozen graves at a cemetery in Hicksville.
Plainlawn Cemetery in Hicksville is an old cemetery is nearly full now, and bronze grave markers remember a generation of those who have died.
Well, that's what their families intended, anyway.
"When I turned around there was just the dirt, four holes where the plaque had been attached to and that was it," said Adele Meyer, a family member.
Police say someone is breaking into the cemetery at night and stealing the grave markers and the flower vases that go with them.
They are apparently being sold for the meta, about $1,700 apiece.
Adele noticed it right before Easter when she came to put flowers on her grandparents' grave.
"It was very upsetting and that's why I wanted it to be brought to the people's attention, because I don't want someone else to walk in there and walk into what I walked into the other day," Meyer said.
Adele's grandparents are buried in the cemetery, Charles and Virginia Bailey. Virginia was one of the original riveters from World War II. Charles was a construction worker and sometimes bartender, and Adele says, the happiest man a girl ever knew. The gravestone was supposed to be where people went to remember them, but the gravestone is gone now and sold for scrap metal.
"You're stealing people's identity and these people may not have anyone around to speak up for them, so I'm speaking up for them. They need something to be replaced on there," Meyer said.
Police are investigating and asking anyone with information to call them.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hicksville, theft, long island news, jim dolan
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos