Long Island News
Long Island group organizes PTA for gay students
GARDEN CITY, New York (WABC) -- A New York group has won approval to organize the first Parent-Teacher Association unit in the country dedicated to the needs of gay and lesbian youths.
The news was confirmed Thursday by David Kilmnick. He's executive director of the Long Island GLBT Services Network.
Kilmnick says representatives of the state and national PTA will present organizers of the newly formed chapter with their charter at a meeting in Garden City next week.
An official with the national PTA confirms the organization knows of no other PTA dedicated to advocating for gay students.
Kilmnick says anyone is welcome to join.
The group will advocate for stronger measures to protect students from bullying. It also will seek to add the contributions of gays throughout history to school curriculums.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Limited 7 train service on entire line
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Fire inside the Marriott Marquis in Times Square
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide