Long Island News
Propane-fueled fireball guts Farmingville home
FARMINGVILLE (WABC) -- A raging fire completely engulfed a home in Farmingville, Long Island early Wednesday.
"I can't say enough about my friends," said Mark Wojciechowski, the victim's friend.
Mark Wojciechowski is overwhelmed by the support he's been getting from friends and even complete strangers after losing his family's home in a fire early Wednesday morning.
People have been driving by all day dropping off bags of clothes and food.
"The community has been so wonderful to us," said Mary Wojciechowski, Mark's wife.
The inferno broke out around 2 a.m. on South Howell Avenue.
The entire family was sleeping.
Wojciechowski's 6-year-old daughter Mia was awakened by the flames.
"She came running into the room screaming. I didn't know what was going on I thought someone was in the house, I went to the room and opened the curtain and the flames were outside," Wojciechowski said.
Wojciechowski woke up his other daughter Gabrielle and got everyone out of the house.
"Mia's the hero she got us out of the house," Wojciechowski said.
And now the entire community is coming to the rescue of the beloved high school football coach.
"One of the daughters and my daughter are about the same size so I just grabbed a bunch of clothes and just brought them right in," said Jeanine Meyer, donated clothes.
Some helped to save decades old mementos of Wojciechowski's own time as a local football star.
He's like a dad to many of his former players.
"It's about family doing the right thing. That's what he taught me," said Jay Mauro, a friend.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, farmingville, fire, long island news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 8 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death 35 min ago
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash 13 min ago
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon 12 min ago
- Mayor-elect de Blasio to visit White House
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- Charges expected in fraternity death
35 min ago
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
13 min ago
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
8 min ago
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
12 min ago