Long Island News
Propane-fueled fireball guts Farmingville home
FARMINGVILLE (WABC) -- A raging fire completely engulfed a home in Farmingville, Long Island early Wednesday.
"I can't say enough about my friends," said Mark Wojciechowski, the victim's friend.
Mark Wojciechowski is overwhelmed by the support he's been getting from friends and even complete strangers after losing his family's home in a fire early Wednesday morning.
People have been driving by all day dropping off bags of clothes and food.
"The community has been so wonderful to us," said Mary Wojciechowski, Mark's wife.
The inferno broke out around 2 a.m. on South Howell Avenue.
The entire family was sleeping.
Wojciechowski's 6-year-old daughter Mia was awakened by the flames.
"She came running into the room screaming. I didn't know what was going on I thought someone was in the house, I went to the room and opened the curtain and the flames were outside," Wojciechowski said.
Wojciechowski woke up his other daughter Gabrielle and got everyone out of the house.
"Mia's the hero she got us out of the house," Wojciechowski said.
And now the entire community is coming to the rescue of the beloved high school football coach.
"One of the daughters and my daughter are about the same size so I just grabbed a bunch of clothes and just brought them right in," said Jeanine Meyer, donated clothes.
Some helped to save decades old mementos of Wojciechowski's own time as a local football star.
He's like a dad to many of his former players.
"It's about family doing the right thing. That's what he taught me," said Jay Mauro, a friend.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, farmingville, fire, long island news
- Officer arrested in firebombing of captain's home 58 min ago
- Heavy rain sparks flash flooding
- AccuWeather Alert: Drenching downpours
- Eyewitness News Live
- Jury deadlocked on Jodi Arias penalty 13 min ago
- Boy attacked by another on city bus, video
- Boy Scouts to accept openly gay boys as Scouts 12 min ago
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy
- Students injured in Brooklyn pepper spray incident
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday
- The New DNA fingerprint: Cell phones
- Photographer chronicles wife's breast cancer battle
- abcnews: 'Extremely Active' Potential For Hurricane...
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale