Long Island News
Police arrest suspect in hammer attack rapes
NASSAU COUNTY (WABC) -- Police have arrested the man believed to be responsible for the hammer attack rape pattern in Brooklyn.
19-year-old Anthony Moore was arrested Thursday in Nassau County for following and harassing a woman. He was arrested by Nassau Police and had a backpack that had a hammer inside of it.
The NYPD has taken Moore into custody, and sources say he has been identified in lineups by both victims.
He is currently being processed at the Brooklyn Special Victim's Squad in Prospect Heights.
The first attack happened in Bedford-Stuyvesant on April 9th. The suspect approached an 18-year-old just after midnight. She was walking home from the J train. He displayed a hammer and then forced her into a back alley and raped her.
Later that day, at around 11 a.m., the same suspect police believe to be Moore followed a 22-year-old woman into her Brownsville apartment building and attempted to rape her. She managed to fight him off.
In both attacks, the suspect threatened the woman with a hammer.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, brooklyn, nassau county, rape, long island news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control 55 min ago
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner 44 min ago
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead 12 min ago
- Photos: Stolen jewelry items in Ramsey robbery